Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Tuesday Sports Update - and then there were 8...

Well, the playoffs are underway - and actually I've only had one surprise / disappointment so far. Not bad really.

1) My Steelers were just too banged up to pull it off against the Broncos - with Tebow actually looking like a real NFL quarterback! You know I like Tebow so I guess if they had to lose to someone...nah, I'm bummed. Tebow did throw for a career best 316 yards, but get this - he set an NFL record for 31.6 yards per completion!

2) While we're on records - of course, the Saints set another one in their victory over the Lions on Saturday night - 626 yards of total offense for the Saints, highest ever in a playoff game.

3) The NY Giants looked impressive against the Atlanta Falcons - but we'll see what they can do in Green Bay.

4) And then congratulations to the Houston Texans on their first playoff win in team history - they defeated the Cincinnati Bengals on Saturday.

Now, I have to mention last night's NCAA National Championship game - also record setting, it was the first shut-out ever in a BCS bowl game. The Crimson Tide "rolled" over the LSU Tigers to take the National Championship in a 21-0 victory in the Superdome. If any stat besides the score sums it up, it's this one - LSU never even crossed mid-field into Bama territory until well into the 4th quarter.

Also of note is today's press that the BCS is now going to consider a playoff system. Everyone knows it is needed, but for my part, I want to see it to believe it.

The playoff march on this weekend, but my sports focus becomes divided. This weekend also kicks off tennis' first major of the year - the Australian Open. And the most exciting part is I'm going!!! So look for posts from "down under" very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment