Monday, January 16, 2012

Playoff heartbreak – what to do? Go to Australia!


That’s right; the Saints’ heartbreaking loss on Saturday is driving me half-way around the world! OK, actually not quite. Attending all 4 tennis majors before I die is on my bucket list. Since I’m not getting any younger, it’s time to tackle the next one – tomorrow I leave for Melbourne and the Australian Open!

Of course, I’ve packed all of my Roger gear and can’t wait to go cheer him on! So far, he and all of the top players are through their first round matches. The only real upset so far was an impressive 5-set come-from-behind win for the young Australian, Bernard Tomic. He beat Fernando Verdasco, who is also a favorite of mine so that’s too bad.

I’m not going to make any predictions or name any favorites for fear of jinxing things, but then who am I kidding – you all know who I’m cheering for! 

So look for updates and photos from “down under” very soon.

That said, I must give a bit of a recap of the past weekend’s NFL playoff action – for the most part, things happened as I expected (yes, I did pick the Giants!) and more records were set.

The theme of the weekend, though, was the old adage – “Defense (still) wins championships.” And once again we question the wisdom of resting your starters – I’m sure Green Bay coach, Mike McCarthy, will be mulling this one over in the off-season.

Although they lost it in the end, Drew Brees was not done with his record setting – he tied Johnny Unitas' record for 49 consecutive games with a TD pass (reg+ post season). He also entered the game with an NFL record of no interceptions in his last 215 post-season attempts – and then he promptly threw 2 in the first half – so much for that one. Darren Sproles also broke an NFL post-season record with 15 receptions in the game. 

But in the end, I’m sure they would trade the records for a “W.” It was a wild one, with 4 lead changes in the last 4 minutes. And then the Saints’ defense showed why they were 24th in the NFL. The team has still never won a road playoff game (0-5).

In the other games:
  • Brady broke Peyton Manning's record with 5 TD passes in the 1st half of a playoff game
  • The Ravens’ Ed Reed tied the record for most post-season interceptions with 8
  • Ravens QB Joe Flacko became the only QB to start a play-off game in each of his first 4 years
  • The Ravens got their first home playoff win since 2000 - they finally faced someone other than the Steelers!


And of course the biggest shocker was the Giants’ win over the Packers at Lambeau Field. Giants QB Eli Manning threw for a season high with over 250 yards in first half alone. Of course this was capped off by the dramatic “Hail Mary” TD pass to Hakim Nicks as time expired in first half - caught on the front of his helmet, shades of David Tyree back in super bowl 42 against the until then un-defeated Patriots.

As impressive as Eli was, what still sticks with me is the defensive performance – the Giants D had 4 takeaways and 4 sacks. As a result, they were the first road team to win this playoff season.

Talk to you again soon from the "Land Down Under!"

2 comments:

  1. So glad that you are going to post your travels from down under. In addition to myself, you have several fans of your travel writing among my "new 50" friends. I will let them know of the treat they have in store.
    As our Erin would say, " Good Providence and Journey Blessed".
    Much love, M

    ReplyDelete
  2. MR -- Keep the blog coming -- very enjoyable. I hope that you have a wonderful trip to the Australian Open. Can't recall if we ever discussed but I was able to check off attending all 4 Grand Slams a few years ago (not in the same year). While I was working for Cadbury, I was able to piggy back the Australian Open and Wimbledon in conjunction with business trips. I had a great time at the 2006 Australian Open -- attended on a Sunday and saw Roddick (lose to Baghdatis), Davenport (beat Kuznetsova), & the Bryan Brothers and then saw Federer beat Davydenko in the quarters a couple nights later. You will have a blast! Thanks, Scott Bonneau

    ReplyDelete