Thursday, June 28, 2012

Inconceivable!


So if you haven’t been following Wimbledon, today was one of those days that makes you go, “Huh?”

Now, the women’s top 10 (save the top 3) has been decimated all week, but no one expected a top man to go out – but sometimes, the unexpected happens. Let me set the stage:

Rafael Nadal
  • 11 time Grand Slam Champion
  • 2 time Wimbledon Champion
  • Rank: #2 in the world
  • Undoubtedly in the conversation for greatest tennis player of all time (as much as I hate to say it as a devoted Roger fan, this is a fact)
  • Last win – 7th French Open Championship – all-time record

- his opponent – 

Lukas Rosal
  • 26 year-old Czech (I have to tell you this because who would know? Everyone knows Rafa’s progeny)
  • Rank: #100 in the world
  • Career singles titles – 0
  • Career Wimbledon main draw appearances – 0
  • Turns out, he’s never even won a SET in QUALIFYING! At Wimbledon

So, I don’t know, who would your money be on? Yeah, mine too – and we would be WRONG!!!

I’ve been traveling all week so I’ve been following but not actually getting to watch much, but I got home tonight and turned on Wimbledon Primetime - of course they were showing THE match of the day, so I get to see the last 2 sets. 

And I have to say, he flat out-played Rafa from what I saw. He was hitting 90+ mph winners off Rafa's serve - consistently.

And nerves of the moment? I don't think so - he closed it out on serve and won 3/4 points in that last game with ACES! (22 on the match) The guy must have ice water in his veins!

So I obviously didn't see the whole thing and they said that Nadal didn't play well in the first 3. But Martina Navratilova also said that during that 5th set, he could have beaten anyone - 20 winners to 2 unforced errors! 

Apparently Rosal had never SEEN Center Court before! He came out a few hours early just to see it before he had to take the court against a legend. He said he just wanted to play 3 good sets! Ha!

Wow, wow, wow!!!

2 comments:

  1. The men's draw is definitely more interesting now. Let's see if the Fed can walk through this open door? And what of the Joker and Murray?

    ReplyDelete