Saturday, May 12, 2012

Football, gleaning and running in Pittsburgh – catching up from a delinquent blogger…


Apologies for the long delay in my blogging. When I first got home from Australia at the end of January, frankly nothing really felt “blog worthy.” I mean, how do you top the Australian Open, the longest final in tennis major history, the Great Ocean Road, wallaby sightings, etc…seriously? And then of course things got busy and I started traveling again for work – not a good excuse but there it is.
Anyway, I’ve resolved to get back in my habit, so this posting will be sort of a “hodge podge” of catching up.

First, several of you have remarked that you expected to see me write about the Saints debacle. It’s just hard to do more than shake your head in disgust – both at the brutality and the stupidity. Obviously paying someone specifically to injure someone else is pretty vile. But these guys are already paid MILLIONS to hit the other guy as hard as they can anyway. To kick in an extra $1,000 if they not only knock them down but out is just inane. I mean come on, what does that extra $1K really mean to them? Ugh. Needless to say, with this debacle and the fact that they still haven’t signed Drew Brees, this may be a Saints season to forget…like so many others…double ugh!

Volunteers sorting sweet potatoes
On a more pleasant note, you might recall my post last fall about gleaning – where we went out and picked potatoes in a field way out in MD for donation to a homeless shelter. Well, this morning I got another chance to help out. This time, the Mid-Atlantic Gleaning Network (MAGNET) came to us – they brought a thousand pounds or so of sweet potatoes and cabbage for a group at my church to sort through (discarding anything rotten), bag and deliver to local organizations that feed the hungry. 

Once again, a great cause and a great way to spend a Saturday morning. Tom, one of the MAGNET directors talked to us a little bit about the organization before we got started. He told us stories of hundreds of thousands of pounds (yes, you read that right) that farmers were going to leave in the fields and plow under because they didn’t have the labor to harvest the food before it went bad. And sadly, MAGNET only got a small portion because they also didn’t have the volunteers to come get it before it spoiled. He also said that according to some statistics, as many as 20% of DC residents are not sure where their next meal is coming from! I’m guessing that if you’re reading this, you – like me – find that difficult to imagine. So if you want to do some real good consider getting involved!

Here again is the website:  http://www.midatlanticgleaningnetwork.org/

The Pittsburgh skyline from the Pirates game at PNC Park
And lastly I just had to share this photo. I was in Pittsburgh last weekend running a half marathon and I took in a Pirates game the night before. This shot was taken from my seat way up in the nose-bleeds, but what a view! I really love this city! And for anyone interested, I highly recommend the half marathon there. It is a fabulous course (surprisingly flat if you know city) that winds back and forth across bridges, over the rivers – hitting lots of colorful, historic neighborhoods. And the bands and crowds along the way were great. Really fun race that I definitely plan to do again!

No comments:

Post a Comment