Sunday, July 22, 2012

Escape the city and Pick Blackberries!

Friends heading out into the
Blackberry Patch
I love living in the city, but I also love the occasional escape.

What better way than escaping to the country to pick my own fresh produce? Today it was blackberries and peaches. Thanks to my friend Kathleen for organizing.

It's one of the things that I love most about living in the DC area - you can drive 45 minutes and be on a farm in the country. Homestead Farms in Maryland this time - I highly recommend it. You can pick your own produce in season, or buy from local farmers. Actually it was funny, I caught my friend eating some blackberries straight from the box when we got to the car. Astounded, I said "they haven't been washed!" She reminded me that these farmers don't use any pesticides. Ah, how nice. I actually snatched one myself a little later - gasp, unwashed - and it was delicious!
Look at all of that fresh produce!

Of course they also have a wonderful selection of jams, preserves and PUMPKIN BUTTER! Woohoo! Can't wait to try that one!

And for those of you who remember the old dime store assortment of peppermint and other striped hard candy sticks - they have those too!

All of this in a beautiful setting. If you're local, get out there if you can! If not, find a local grower in your area and take a delicious break from the city bustle.

No comments:

Post a Comment