Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Tuesday sports update - it's crunch time, folks!

Sorry for not writing in a while – afraid I have succumbed to the holiday craziness and gotten completely buried!

So this is the time of the football year when I have somewhat mixed emotions. I’m a little sad that the season is winding up, but then again, it is getting exciting. At this stage there are a lot of teams fighting to keep playoff hopes alive. So here’s a quick rundown of what I find most interesting.

First, of course I have to start with a few observations on my teams:
  • Both the Saints in the NFC and the Steelers in the AFC are projected to have to play wildcard weekend – meaning they make the playoffs but are not the 1 or 2 seeds and therefore miss first round bye’s. Here’s the interesting part, though – both of them have the same record as at least one of the teams currently sitting in the bye spots – so hold on, the “fat lady” hasn’t sung yet
  • Second, I’m sorry but I have to rant. The Steelers’ linebacker James Harrison was suspended for one game this week for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Browns QB Colt McCoy Sunday. OK, I get that it was an illegal hit, but how many of them were flagged on Sunday and who else was suspended – oh wait, no one. Tell me the league isn’t targeting the Steelers and I’ve got some ocean-front property…
  • And then I could not let this week go by without commenting on my “favorite” Tom Brady’s little sideline melt-down after he threw a pick in the end zone against the Redskins. I saw it live before they had a chance to “bleep” it and it was pretty entertaining. Sorry Pats fans, but next to my teams winning, nothing does my heart quite as good as seeing both Brady and Belichick that worked up! 
  • The Lions, Falcons, Jets and Giants are hanging onto playoff spots for dear life. All four had wins last weekend but a few just barely. Nice comeback Giants! They’d better not let down – most of them are one game up at most and there are hungry teams “in the hunt”
  • And I’m sorry, but I just have to say it again – WOW! If the playoffs started today, the Bronco’s would be in with 7 wins out of 8 Tebow starts. That’s right, at 8-5 they started 0-4…until Tebow took over, that is. He did it again Sunday – 4th quarter hits and it’s Tebow time – another comeback and exciting OT win against the Bears. Now, to give credit where it’s due, kicker Matt Prater kicked a 59-yarder to tie the game at the end of regulation and then a 51-yarder to win it. But like Bob Costas said, whether you embrace Tebow’s faith or not, this is fun to watch! Another commentator actually suggested delaying Bronco’s games 15 minutes so everyone could tune in for the exciting finishes after their games are done! Ha! I actually like that idea. They’ve got the Patriots next – tough challenge for sure, but wouldn’t I love it if…
So on to week 15 – what will happen next!

Oh, and I can’t close without a hoorah for the ALL SEC NCAAF championship! Sorry Tigers, but ROLLLLLL TIDE!!!

1 comment:

  1. okay, JH was suspended because he has a history of making hits like that and there was no question he both lead with his helmet and aimed for the head -- Colt didn't move down or anything. JH has had 2 years to learn it and he still refuses to so maybe a suspension is what it takes.
    In addition, the Browns should be crucified for sending him back into the game without any of the proper checks done (asking a player if he feels okay ain't a check).

    You did forget to mention Cam in this, though. I've decided he's the 'anti-Tebow' -- he plays well for 3 quarters and then disappears in the 4th. Maybe he's been taking advice from LeBron while the NBA's been sidelined?

    Oh and GO LSU! It should be OKSt, not 'bama playing -- better overall strength of schedule, better record against top teams, stronger non-conference schedule. Bama, outside of 4 SEC teams played wusses.

    ReplyDelete